Saturday, November 14, 2009

9 Days to Surgery

Caffeine

I had heard that women with endometriosis should avoid having caffeine. I assumed that it was to do with causing dehydration. I had no idea just how serious it was.

It turns out that caffeine increases the production of estrogen- not only that but it also prevents the liver from being able to rid itself of excess estrogen at the same time! The estrogen it is creating is estradiol- which is the one that causes endometrial cell growth.

Too much caffeine also causes adrenal fatigue. The adrenal glands are vital in the production of progesterone which counteracts with estrogen. Basically, caffeine causes all this estrogen to come in and blocks anyway of it getting out of our system! That leads to endometriosis growth, fatigue, bloating, back and neck pain, and depression.

Everyone is different but I've definitely noticed the negative effects of caffeine. With endometriosis it's difficult to know exactly what the catalyst is for the symptoms mentioned above. When I have too much coffee I have those symptoms and I also feel lathargic and dizzy but most significant for me is an abdominal cramping- somewhere between my ovaries and my kidneys.

Yesterday: 1x Flat White, 1x Mocha
Today: Bloated, nauseous, sore
Bleh!

(I had two coffees the day before yesterday too!)


Bye-bye coffee.

Hello green tea.


Sources:

http://www.e-healtharticles.com/Detailed/6801.html

http://womenshealth.suite101.com/article.cfm/coffee_and_estrogen_dominance




2 comments:

  1. Caffeine is awful! It's a drug - a widely used drug and so people think it's harmless. IT ISN'T! The effects it has on the body are devastating. For me, it sucks my sodium and potassium levels and causes major problems with my diabetes insipidus. I avoid it not only for that but also my endometriosis now. Good luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete